AACT-NOW (African American)
AACT-NOW (African American Community Together NOW) is an exciting initiative of NAMI New Jersey to connect with NJ’s African-American families affected by mental illness, the faith community and mental health professionals to provide culturally competent education, support and advocacy. AACT-NOW goals are to dispel the misconceptions surrounding mental illness and to create an anti-stigma environment for those seeking treatment.
Program Contact: Lisa Powell, Statewide Program Coordinator
(732) 940-0991 ext. 117 or e-mail email@example.com
Support mental health and mental illness in the African American Community.
Mental Health in the African American America Community is important. Through this campaign we will be able to support African Americans in New Jersey to get the support, education and advocacy for their mental health needs. AACT-NOW goals are to dispel the misconceptions surrounding mental illness and to create an anti-stigma environment for those seeking treatment. Profits will support AACT-NOW’s mental health programs for the African American Community. Please click here to see Apparel styles or scan QR code.
Four Major Goals of AACT-NOW:
• Increase awareness among African-Americans in NJ that mental illness can be treated, and that anyone can be affected by mental illness – there are no barriers based on class, education or background.
• Help African American individuals and families affected by mental illness set up local self-help groups where they learn coping skills through sharing with people with similar experience.
• Provide referral service for African-American mental health providers to African-American families and individuals.
• Help mental health professionals in NJ to be aware of and sensitive to African American culture on mental health issues and understand the unique struggles that African American individuals and families face when seeking services.
AACT-NOW Online Support Groups
NAMI Family Support Group – Two Online Meetings Every Month
3rd Thursdays, 7:00 – 9:00 pm
3rd Tuesdays, 6:30 – 8:30 pm
NAMI Connection Support Group
2nd Wednesdays, 6:30pm – 8:00pm EST
For more information contact: Shanee firstname.lastname@example.org
NAMI Family Support Groups
(In-person meetings are postponed until further notice)
Northern Jersey Group
2nd Wednesday of the month, 6:30pm-8:00pm
St. Matthew A.M.E. Church
336 Oakwood Avenue, Orange, NJ 07050
Contact: Shanee at email@example.com or (732) 940-0991 ext. 117
Central Jersey Group
3rd Thursday of the month, 6:30pm-8:00pm
First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens
771 Somerset St., Somerset, NJ 08873
Contact: Donna and Melanece at firstname.lastname@example.org or (732) 940-0991 ext. 117
Southern Jersey Group
3rd Tuesday of the month, 6:30pm-8:00pm (In December it will be on the 2nd Tuesday)
Alpha Baptist Church
15 Rose Street, Cares Bldg., Room #6, Willingboro, NJ 08046
Contact: Lisa at (732) 940-0991 ext. 117 or email@example.com
Young Adult Society
Youth Adult Society is a social group that offers recreational activities to young adults aged 21 to 35 who have mental health concerns. This group evolved to provide opportunities for social interaction. Activities which are selected by its members include movies, picnics, pizza parties theatrical and sports events, etc. Transportation will be provided by the participants and their families. The activities of this group are recreational, but beyond that Youth Adult Society is a place where you will find acceptance and friendship. For more information about this group, contact Lisa at (732) 940-0991 ext. 117 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer opportunities for people interested in giving back to the community through service. Contact email@example.com for more information.