NAMI Smarts for Advocacy
NAMI Smarts for Advocacy Training Offered
Passionate and devoted, mental health advocates don’t always know the most effective way to tell their stories and present the facts to encourage legislative action. This training is designed to create a skills based effective advocates. NAMI Smarts for Advocacy is a highly interactive and engaging workshop that employs a variety of adult learning strategies to build knowledge, confidence, and competence in:
• Writing and delivering short and compelling personal stories that have an “ask”
• Finding and using facts in speaking and writing
• Preparing for and conducting a successful meeting with legislators
• Following-up with savvy thank you notes that reinforce a key message
• Writing focused emails that have an impact
• Making effective phone calls
NAMI Smarts for Advocacy will enhance your advocacy skills by helping to shape your powerful and personal story that will move policy makers. Whether you are new to advocacy or have years of experience, this integrated training will equip you to be informed, confident and ready to make a difference. NAMI Smarts for Advocacy modules include: Telling Your Story; Emails and Phone Calls; and Meeting Your Legislator.
Module 1: Telling your story | Real stories are the most potent motivator for legislators. This module guides you through writing and delivering a concise and compelling version of your story that will serve as the springboard for your advocacy.
Phillip Lubitz, MSW
Associate Director of Advocacy and Public Policy