How Can I Make a Complaint about a New Jersey Regulated Program?

If you believe a program may be operating in violation of licensing regulations, or you have any concerns about the services provided by a regulated program, please call one of the Department of Human Services Office of Licensing telephone numbers or Mental Health Licensing Telephone: 609-984-2150.


How Can I Make a Complaint about a Hospital?

Reporting  State Hospital Abuse, Neglect, Safety or Quality Concerns

When an individual has any concerns about patient care and safety in the hospitals, the following steps should be taken:

1) Contact the patient’s unit team leader or program coordinator.

2) Contact the Section Chief of the unit.

3) Contact the Patient Representative.

If the concerns have not been addressed by any of the above routes, the individual is encouraged to contact the Chief Executive Officer of the respective hospital.

To report patient abuse at a state hospital, call the Patient Services Compliance Unit (PSCU) at 1-888-490-8413 (click here for more information).


Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) accredits health care organizations, including ambulatory care, assisted living, behavioral health care, health plans, home care, hospitals, laboratory services, and long term care.


An External Advocacy Agency:

Disability Rights New Jersey

210 S. Broad Street, 3rd Floor
Trenton, NJ 08608
609-292-9742 800-922-7233 (in N.J. only)

609-633-7106 (TTY)

E-mail: [email protected]



File a Complaint about a Health Care Facility

The Division of Health Facilities Evaluation and Licensing in the NJ Department of Health and Senior Services investigates all complaints against health care facilities. The Division takes on-line complaints from people who provide their names and contact information. Please visit the File a Complaint page for more information. You can file a complaint by phone if you do not want to provide your name. Complaint Hotline: 1-800-792-9770.


How Can I Find out About Professional Licensing for Individuals?

For information about licensing for psychologists, social workers, doctors, nurses, alcohol/drug counselors and other professions, contact the Division of Consumer Affairs in the Department of Law and Public Safety.


How can I file a discrimination complaint?

Complaints must be filed with the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights within 180 days after the alleged act of discrimination. Once a complaint is accepted, the Division will conduct an investigation. Following the completion of the investigation, the Director will determine whether or not probable cause exists to believe that unlawful discrimination has occurred. If a finding of probable cause is issued, the case will be transmitted to the Office of Administrative Law where a full hearing will take place before an Administrative Law Judge. The case may be litigated by a state Deputy Attorney General on behalf of the Division.

A person may initiate an action in Superior Court without first filing a complaint with the Division.


How do I complain about a rooming home or a boarding home?

The Division of Codes and Standards in the Department of Community Affairs (DCA) establishes and enforces building codes, in partnership with the State’s municipalities, to protect the health and safety of New Jersey residents. The Division enforces the Hotel and Multiple Dwelling Law, and rooming and boarding house licensing. Phone: (609) 292-7898.


Rooming and Boarding House Regulation and Assistance

NJAC 5:15 Emergency Shelters for the Homeless

NJAC 5:27 Regulations Governing Rooming and Boarding Houses